Home of the mundane, erratic, occasionally inspirational, and always random thoughts of the KiltedJedi

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Cranky

As the Jedi continues his studies in Israel, he's noticing a tendency to be cranky here late in the Spring. I remember a friend of mine who's a college pastor who once remarked that he had to remind himself every Spring that he was in fact a good pastor in spite of the fact that the students went mad. I laughed at the time. Now, I am one of those students (albeit a grad one).

An example, there's a single mom of three at our school. She's in Israel, with her kids. She drug them over here and the kids are suffering. So, Crazy Mom is in one of my classes and has missed many classes because she fancies herself a minister and is always finding someone who "needs" her counsel. Or she skips to finish other papers/projects. Now I'll admit I cannot imagine the chaos that surrounds trying to raise 3 kids, all under the age of 12, in a foreign country that doesn't speak English and go to grad school. But, I also didn't MAKE THAT CHOICE. I also didn't CHOOSE to skip class and miss out on handouts and other requisite info for a paper. So, when she came up to me in a panic, whining about not having enough stuff for her paper and how hard the class is and how hard it is to understand the prof (he's German), I just gave her a cold, hard look. I also wouldn't give her my copies of the info to go and copy. I was a jerk. I know it and I feel wrong.

But on the other hand, it's not right to continue coddling and affirming this woman's self-created victim status. I don't think it's my job, or my wife's job, or the school's job to continually be bailing this woman out of a fire she lit herself.

So, I am a cranky Jedi.

KJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home