More old thots...
Entitled "Who Was That?", October 13th, 2006
After reading through Exodus 30 where God commits to Moses the blueprints to the tabernacle and the articles that go into it and the paraphenalia associated w/it, (whew! long phrase) I am struck by a resounding chord. As God speaks about specifically the priests' robes and the consecration thereof, He is adamant about how "especially holy" they are to Him. And He says this over and over, "I am Adonai." (other translations probably say I am the LORD) If memory serves, when "LORD" appears in our English translation, it is actually taking the place of YHWH, the now unpronouncable name of God that He revealed to Moses. In order to emphasize the gravity and importance of the issue, God states who He is. I know that I, living in the West, have very little appreciation for the importance of a name. Again, if memory serves, other cultures ascribe much power and personal character quality to a name. These days we seem to pick names because they sound cool/cute/interesting. Scripture recalls to mind that God is jealous for His own name.
So, all that to say, after God would make a "speech" or give instruction, He would punctuate the statement by say "I am YHWH". By using His name, He gave all the reason in the world to obey, revere, and trust. This remains stuck in my mind like a proverbial splinter. As I continue down my journey in life, and struggle with pride, wondering why I should even bother with obedience (after all, I'm under grace aren't I?), I hear clearly as a though from a high simple note, "I AM YHWH".
That becomes all I need to hear.
Rambling,
KiltedJedi
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home