End of the Baptism debacle?
I had recently written a very long blog on the recent happens between Henderson Hills Baptist Church and the local/state associations of Southern Baptist churches over HHBC's bylaws. The specific issue was over the connection between baptism and membership. HHBC's elders proposed unlinking them, asking the body to pray for two months and see what God told the body to do. The leadership of the local/state convention got upset and there was a ruckus. I hadn't said anything for the two months, and then about two days ago, I let loose. I have since pulled it down, even though there was positive feedback.
I would like to say how utterly impressed I am w/our elders. They stated that during the process of prayer over the proposal, they would still be studying and seeking input and guidance from the congregants. Apparently, one member asked a question concerning the wording of the bylaw change, and the elders went to work and 1)after a 19 hour study session w/a Baptist theologian, 2) two separate meetings afterwards that they felt God say to pull the vote. They have acted in a consistent pattern, keeping their word. They are currently going to re-examine the language proposal in order to remove ambiguity and make our position clear. I guess that they will re-submit it at a later time.
Dennis also talked on the end result of the "sharp disagreement" between Paul and Barnabas over John Mark. Ultimately, there was resolution and restoration of relationship btwn Paul and Mark. Ultimately, he concluded with Ephesians 4:32. I will quote from v.31, "Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, violent assertiveness and slander, along with all spitefulness. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted; and forgive each other, just as in the Messiah God has also forgiven you." (emphasis mine)
The Word, being living and active, and quickly judged the inner intentions of my heart. I promptly removed the long post. Maybe I'll post it again someday to, hopefully illustrate, that I have matured a bit. Anyway, in order to bring my living into line, I have eliminated anything that is RAWR at the CBA/BGCO and done some editing and deleting.
All this to say, I am proud to be a member of HHBC. I am utterly impressed and honored to have this Elder Council, watching them act with integrity, honor, patience, and grace.
KJ

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home